Although the headline reads these are tips for new real estate agents, these probably hold true for all real estate agents…new and experienced. Here they are, in no particular order, feel free to add your own!To learn what it takes to be a successful real estate agent or to get your real estate business back on track, check out Candy’s new book, “The Reality of Real Estate – The Essential Guide to Planning, Managing and Growing Your Real Estate Business.” Available on Amazon now! Candy, “The Real-Life Realtor”, coaches, mentors and trains new and experienced real estate agents to transform their business by mastering her proven systems for success. In 2016, Inman News named Candy Miles-Crocker as one of the Top 25 Real Estate coaches in the United States. She is a firm believer in managing expectations. Her goal is to elevate the perception of real estate agents among the general public through education so every client has an amazing real estate experience. Candy’s unique training methods have shown agents what it takes to be successful! Learn more about her training program at www.RLRETraining.com or send her an email at Candy@RLRETraining.com. If you haven’t done so already, please connect with us on Twitter on Facebook, and LinkedIn.
1. It’s Not About YouAs a real estate agent you are helping your client or customer navigate through the home buying or home selling process. It is very easy to get emotionally attached to the real estate transaction and let it become personal. Remind yourself before and during the transaction that “it’s not about me…I have a house”!
2. Set A ScheduleThe beauty of what we do for a living is that there is no one telling us what to do or when to do it. The curse of what we do is that there is no one telling us what to do or how to do it. As a result, we often don’t do anything. Or we don’t do enough to generate the income we need to survive. Put yourself on a schedule and get into the habit of working.
3. Treat Your Business Like A BusinessUnless being a real estate agent is a hobby for you, you can skip this one. But if you are looking to earn a living at selling real estate you need to treat it like a business. Make a business plan, write a marketing plan, keep track of your expenses and pay your taxes. Do the necessary tasks to make your real estate business profitable.
4. Do What You Say You Are Going To DoSounds easy, but painfully few real estate agents follow through or follow up. If you tell a client, perspective client or another agent you will do something…by all means, DO IT!
5. Get Additional TrainingWe are all required by law to take Continuing Education courses, but often times that’s just not enough. The world we live and do business in is changing at a rapid pace. How we conduct business is changing as well. We need to be knowledgeable on upcoming legislation, new technology, marketing…just to name a few. Change is our only constant. We have to stay current or be left behind.
6. Set Expectations EarlyHave a standard business practice to meet with buyers and sellers to explain the home buying and home selling practice. Often times real estate agents are so anxious to “get the business”, we fail to fully explain the process, how we work and what we expect from them. Manage expectations from the very first meeting to help keep the stress levels throughout the transaction at a minimum.
7. Be PreparedWhen going to the office, dress like a business professional…you never know who may come in looking for an agent. When holding an open house, know the neighborhood, what has sold recently and what is currently on the market. Have buyer kits ready at all times in case a prospect walks in the office; you don’t want to have to run around trying to compile some information. Be prosperous!
Enjoy less stress by having smoother transactions by implementing these simple strategies today!Sign up today for my Free Email Course, 5 Things Every New Real Estate Agent Needs to Know. Start building your real estate business on a solid foundation. Click here to get started.
Get Real-Life Training and Awesome Results With Real-Life Real Estate Training
- Have you struggled turning contacts into clients?
- Are you working hard, but hardly making any money?
- Are you beginning to think you made a bad career choice?
Let’s Go to Work!
As an active Realtor licensed in three jurisdictions, I approach real estate training from a different perspective. With over 18 years in the real estate business, I teach agents what it’s really like to be a real estate agent.